The Delta State Ministry of Justice as a statutory Ministry of Government is key to the successful implementation of governmental policies and programmes as it provides the necessary legal framework and advice for Government to achieve its overall objectives.
The Ministry of Justice as a service oriented delivery Ministry is crucial to the formulation of formidable legal instruments to drive the SMART agenda and the prosperity for all Deltans vision of the Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa’s administration.
The Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice is empowered by Section 195 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as (amended) where he derives his powers from as the Chief Law Officer of the State Government. The Attorney-General works with the Solicitor-General/Permanent Secretary and with other Officers in the Ministry in performing the statutory functions conferred on the Ministry by law.
The functions of the Ministry include:
- Rendering of Legal advice to Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDA’s)
- Drafting of Bills and Regulations
- Handling of litigations by or against Government in tax and revenue matters
- Criminal Prosecutions
- Perform the functions of Administrator General and Public Trustee
- Law Reporting, Review, Research and Publication
- Drafting and vetting of contractual agreements and memorandum of understanding between Government and its contractors, other levels of Government, International Agencies and Multinational Corporations
- Non-Adversarial dispute Resolution through reconciliation, arbitration and mediation
- Promotion and Protection of Human Rights including the child’s right amongst others.
Under the Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa’s administration, the Ministry of Justice has received tremendous overhaul to deliver on its core mandate and serve as a vehicle to drive and provide a solid legal framework for the successful implementation of the SMART agenda of the government as well as the entrenchment of law and order, good governance, respect for human rights and the rule of law in Delta.